Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's time again

This is one of those weeks where I have several doctors appointments. Yesterday I saw my plastic surgeon (he created the prosthetic tongue), Today I see my regular surgeon (he removed the tumor, which happened to be connected to half of my tongue) and Thursday I see my dentist.

From the standpoint of the doctors all of the news will most likely be of a positive variety. (I'm just there to check on the progress of my healing). That of course is there stand point. I finally pushed my plastic surgeon into telling me exactly how much difference I could expect in my tongue and found out it is pretty much where it will be. That was not good news for me. I work with the public and returning to the workplace will demand that I speak clearly. Currently I sound like my mouth is full of food (which only comes in handy at dinnertime, because I can eat and talk and no one notices the difference). This means that I will be spending quite some time with the speech therapist.

Secondly I asked about the incision on my neck as well as the hardining of the muscles below. I was told it had healed nicely. Really? I was told by my surgeon that there would only be a small natural looking crease on my neck. In reality I have a big flap of skin hanging over the incision site. From the front it doesn't look so bad but from the side it ages my by about 15 years. I know the argument: Ran, you should be glad to be alive! I am glad to be alive, but just like thousands of people I want to be alive and look younger than my chronological age! I was told that in four to six months if it doesn't improve I could have plastic surgery to remove excess skin and fat. That is not the news I wanted. I didn't have excess skin and fat going into this and want the results I was promised. While venting to my acupuncturist yesterday regarding all of this, she reminded me that she does "cosmetic acupuncture". (Not as intense as a face lift, but shows results in the re firming of skin and collegian production). She needled my face for me. I looked at it this morning and couldn't believe the results. The flap had indeed shifted. There is still some swelling, but the results defiantly show. I may not need to get a nip and tuck after all!

Finally, tomorrow, I see my dentist to have the bridge created. (If you have been reading the blog for awhile you may recall I had to have four bottom front teeth pulled due to bone loss and the risk of radiation). That will finally be corrected, which I am hoping will help a lot with my speech. The bottom line is this. There will always be good and bad days for all of us. Cancer has nothing to do with that, although, any cancer patient can tell you they have had their share of bad days. But if you look there is still beauty and miracles all around us. This week it came from my acupuncturist and of course my life partner who took most of the week off to be at all of my doctors appointments. Ken may not be great at cleaning the bathroom, but he is one heck of a caretaker! (not a bad trade off! especially considering that I had cancer and really needed to be taken care of).

No comments:

Post a Comment