Monday, March 14, 2011

Yay! It's Monday!

What? Are you crazy? Not to mention that for us living in most of the USA today is the Monday after Daylight Savings Time. Maybe it's like some people say: "Any day above ground is a good day". For me, that isn't it. Secretly I've always liked Monday. I know that the calendar shows Sunday as the first day of the week, but my entire life it has really felt like Monday. On Monday you get a blank slate. There are hundreds if not thousands of possibilities for your life. If you are not happy that it is Monday, maybe today is the perfect day for you to take 10 minutes and look at your life.

Yes, I still know that others think me odd. I liked vegetables as a child, especially Brussels sprouts and broccoli  so I'm used to people thinking that about me. The only thing I have to say about that is that is that it's Monday and I'm happy, how about you? I have to stop here and admit that not too long ago, I wasn't as happy as I feel today. Looking back I recognize that I had actually been depressed by the state of my life for quite some time. Cancer has an odd way of taking you and shaking you. Really I have discovered how wonderful my life already was and am working on making changes so I can get to where I want to be in life to prevent further depression. That being said, I know that there will be tough days along the way. Buddhism's first promise is that life brings suffering. How we deal with that suffering comes from our inner strength. I have always believed that God will never give us more than we can handle. Sometimes it feels like a close stretch. I have had friends that have committed suicide and still hold tight to my beliefs. Oddly enough, I read a report recently from some American Board of Psychiatry, that the most common day to commit suicide was Sunday. I remember thinking that if they would have just held on, Monday would have come and just maybe they would have seen another way to handle their situation.

It is still odd to me that Monday inspires so many sad songs. But then what day would they choose? Not Tuesday. Tuesday is sort of an important day. It is the day that you get caught up from not getting anything done on Monday because you were whining that it was Monday. Wednesday is hump day. The day that the light comes on and we realize we can make it. Thursday we see the finish line (I used to love to go out and dance on Thursday nights. I think it made me feel a little like a bad boy). And then Friday. Hey it's the end of the week. Everyone is making plans and I get to see my sister in-law, Gabby's latest tribute to Friday via Facebook! Then there is Saturday and who (except for retail workers) doesn't love Saturday. The free day (I used to hate going dancing on Saturday's, too many sloshy drunks) anything is possible. And then there is Sunday! It is supposed to be a day of rest, but I never really see that going on. I find Sundays to be kind of blah. Not really depressing, just there. I love to hang out and read on Sundays (which is why I added the link to my favorite new book to today's post, hint, hint) But still the song writers have to pick on Monday. OK, I'm clearly not in charge here, so go ahead. I just think that if you buy into this way of thinking that you are missing out! Monday is about new! It's clean and full of possibility!

1 comment:

  1. I can see your point about Monday being a fresh start, but I'm still not a fan. They're soul-crushing reminders that my beloved weekend is five whole days away.

    ReplyDelete