Friday, April 15, 2011

What are we fighting for?

It seems that every time you turn on the news these days (and it has been that way for quite some time) you see reports of war. It has been years since the United States go involved in the Middle East and yet it seems that things are really no better (depending on who you choose to listen to). The same could be said for cancer. People just keep getting diagnosed. And when we do what are we told? To Fight! To win! To survive! This is not a war. I see it quite clearly now from where I sit, that the way to live is to make peace with yourself. To make peace within yourself. Violently trying to heal yourself really makes no sense. Loving yourself back to life; back to want life does. I keep thinking about this because I wonder if it is a universal truth. If there were no war, but peaceful solutions would we be happier? Probably. Healthier? Most defiantly! So why is it that we seem to crave war even within ourselves?

Some would suggest that it is human nature. I, for one, think that it is the first symptom of not being connected to the Divine. Think about it. When you have felt connected, have you ever felt violent? I know that I haven't. In fact the past several months in spite of what my body has been experiencing I have been very much at peace. I think that that is one of the reasons that I am so certain that I am already cancer free and will remain that way. Not to say that I don't have a long road ahead of me. The most important thing I have to do is stay on track in body, mind and spirt. I know from previous life experiences that it is all to easy to get lost. Also, having ADD it is all to easy to see something shiny and be on a whole new street in seconds. Even more reason why prayer and meditation are so important.

I don't have the answers. I look and see a violence in the present and past all over the world. I think about the holy wars and the Inquisition and other events that were supposedly blessed by God. I think of the beginnings of our country and see the murder of millions of American Indians and the enslavement of just as many if not more Black Africans. Those events were supposedly deemed OK by God or the church. I wonder if we treated every major situation like it was our own cancer, how we would deal with things? Would we really go out with guns blasting or would we apply the greatest bit of logic and most up to date information of how to excise the tumor and do follow up treatments? I think one thing is sure when you are at peace, your thoughts tend to be of a peaceful nature. You tend to want to help. Want to give love and feel love. I can see why after all of these years I never really appreciated the peace movement. I was too busy fighting my own wars. Trying to get ahead. I was not at peace or peaceful. I complained and maligned people all of the time. Had I of known that it would take cancer to put me back on track, I wonder then if I would have sought peace or if I would have been like the many smokers I see, who know they are playing Russian roulette with their health? I hate to say it but probably the latter. And now I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment