Monday, February 14, 2011

My "Blow Hole"

The human body is nothing short of a miracle! Cut it open and it can heal. Remove blood and it regenerates more. Each one of us owns the most exquisite machine ever produced! Even more remarkable is that no two are exactly alike. Throughout my battle of the "C", I have been nothing short of amazed. The stories I have read, inspire me. The people who have reached out to me with their own stories have moved me to push my self. In fact I have found that the community of survivors that I find myself becoming involved with is very much a "pay it forward" group of people! There is so much good flowing toward me constantly! And then there is my "Blow Hole"

What is a blow hole you ask? Remember me whining about my trech and how bad I wanted it out? Well as it turns out that is what you get. They take it out. OK, they take it out and then what? Nothing! Huh? Yes, they take it out and then nothing. You have a hole in your neck left to close on it's own! I have had countless employees over the years who have had tongue rings. Back in the day, I even had a few of my own body piercings. I know that when they are removed they heal up. For this reason, every employee I have had with a tongue piercing always tried to ignore the corporate mandates of no piercings! But it will close up by the end of my shift, They'd whine. Followed by me explaining that they should have thought of that prior to having the piercing in the first place.

My blow hole is somewhat different than that. First of all it looks to be approximately an inch and a half long and set on an angle. I think that angle was created by the swelling in my neck and, not,  god forbid carelessness on the part of my brilliant doctor! Secondly it is quite unnerving to see a slash in one's own throat! Of course the hole is protected all day and night by a gauze pad taped over it, so I really only see it during bandage changes (i.e. last nights face book post about realizing I didn't have Beiber Fever as I was more interested in changing my bandage than enduring his performance). But seriously, you can't put a few stitches or staples in it?   Warm breaths occasionally sneak out of it to remind me that it is open for business. Yesterday while in the shower I forgot myself while washing my face, sprayed my neck and almost drowned! The blow hole is a pain in the, well, throat I guess. If it were a pain the butt that would be quite another type of blow hole.

In the long run, I am quite aware that the blow hole is minor. I am sure I will find something else to complain about as the blow hole closes up. Most likely my skin grafts! The good news here is that I am feeling like my feisty self again and that alone is worth putting up with the blow hole!

No comments:

Post a Comment